and just to name a few

and just to name a few

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My mama's buttermilk biscuits - made so I can eat them!

The original recipe for these biscuits has been in my family for years - I don't know how many, but many none-the-less. The taste of them brings back distinct childhood memories of my mom's baking. These go on that list of things I knew I would miss greatly when I had to give up gluten. But, alas, I have come up with a completely successful and delicious altered recipe that allows me to, once again, enjoy the taste of my mom's baking.

Whisk together:

1 C White rice flour

3/4 C Millet flour

1/4 C Sorghum flour

3/4 tsp Xanthum gum (just a titch less)

1 tbls baking powder

1 tbls sugar

1/3 tsp salt

1/2 tsp cream of tartar

1/2 tsp soda


Cut in to dry ingredients with pastry knife:

1/2 C shortening

1 C buttermilk (just a tad less, again, and I always just use regular milk with a touch of vinegar to curdle)


mix until well moistened and then kneed on lightly floured surface (I used white rice flour but it gave the outside too grainy of a texture - I think sorghum would work better). Roll out to be 1/2 inch thick and cut with biscuit cutters. I'm not how many this makes because I've used different size biscuit cutters each time.


Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes - watch them close that they don't get overdone or they will be too crispy on the bottom.






No comments:

Post a Comment