and just to name a few

and just to name a few

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

President worthy banana bread


I baked the recipe to take to a ladies Bible Study I do at our church here in town.  At this Bible study is a woman who is a chef, a caterer and catered for the White House regularly when she lived out East.  She pulled me aside after trying a slice of this bread and told me very genuinely, "this honestly is the best banana bread I've ever tasted."  WHAA?!?!  Needless to say, I felt quite proud (though I'm not quite sure I agree with her that it's THAT good, though it is delicious!... :)  So, there you have it.  I could bake banana bread for the president if I wanted.....and if I was asked.  :)

Here's the mix:

Whisk together:
1/2 C each of White and Brown rice flour
1 C sorghum flour
1/2 C tapioca flour
1ish tsp xanthum gum
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt (I had forgotten to add salt to the loaf that Mrs. bake for the president tried and told her this but                      she said she didn't think it needed it- but I think it's better WITH salt - so, do whatever.)
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp of any other spice you think would be delish.  I've used cloves and nutmeg alongside the cinnamon                    with great results!

cream together:
1 1/4 C sugar
1/2 C butter

add in:
2 eggs
1/2 C buttermilk (I used just a hair more to ensure complete lack of dryness in the loaf - it worked wonders!
1 tsp vanilla
3 very ripe mashed bananas (I throw regular ripened bananas in the freezer and then pull them out, microwave them for 1 minute on a plate, cut the stem top off and squeeze the ooz into the batter)

Blend together wet and dry ingredients until smooth
Divide between 2 greased 8in loaf pans
350 degrees
55 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment