and just to name a few

and just to name a few

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Crepes, oh delicious crepes!

A few nights ago NOTHING I had planned for dinner sounded good, so I switched directions completely from the Southwest Chili planned and made Crepes. THEY ROCKED! The recipe given here is, I'm assuming, intended for sweet filling. It's from one of my gluten free cookbooks that I really have enjoyed. I've modified the recipe VERY slightly to avoid copyright issues: And, I don't know how to make the little tent thing over the first "e" on the word "Crepe", apologies.


Crepes:

1 C white rice flour

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp nutmeg (or allspice, cinnamon or cloves depending on what you want to fill them with)

1 C half and half (I used 3/4 c half and half and 1/4 c 1% milk. I'm sure all milk would work)

2 tbls melted butter

1/2 tsp vanilla

3 eggs


-combine all the dry and sift well

-whisk in half and half until smooth

-add butter and vanilla - beat until smooth

-whisk in eggs one and at time until batter is smooth

-heat 8 or 9 inch skillet over MEDIUM heat - slightly butter pan and pour 1/4C batter in

-cook for 45 seconds to a minute until the top looks dull and the edges are dry

-flip crepe and cook for another 20 or 30 seconds until it looks done


Fill with whatever DELICIOUS filling you can think of

For this particular meal I did a sautéed mushroom, cream cheese and maple glazed turkey breast(sautéed for a few seconds with the mushrooms just to heat it up) filling (Boar's Head products are CERTIFIED GLUTEN FREE - and their deli meat is to die for!) The cream cheese and maple turkey actually went really well with the slightly sweet flavor of this crepe recipe. I haven't tried leaving out the vanilla and spice, but I'm sure they would cook the same and would work for so many fantastic savory options.

The dessert filling I did was just the all around safe and wonderfully delectable bananas and Nutella ( which IS Gluten free, and was a HUGE sigh of relief for me when I found out. Some people want their jewelry in their caskets when they die. I'd rather just be piled deeply under jars of Nutella! - That is IF I even wanted to be buried, which I don't because it totally gives me the heeby jeebies. But thats neither here nor there when speaking of Crepes.)

One of the sweet and subtle joys of this recipe is that it includes ONLY white rice flour, which I'm certain is theeee cheapest GF flour you can get - AND, there's no xanthum gum!


Oh yeah! Freeze leftover (yeah right, as if!) crepes in between sheets of wax paper in a hard container for up to 3 months. Just thaw them at room temperature and proceed with your excellently brilliant plans for filling them!

No comments:

Post a Comment