and just to name a few

and just to name a few

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Sopapillas! Thats right, SO PA PILL AS!!!!


(Note about the picture - these look small because they are small. I cut them way too small - that may have played a part in the problem forming pockets)
I've decided that I'm just not going to put up with missing out on some of life's truly delicious treats JUST because I can't have "normal" flour. I hunted high and low online for a GF sopapillas recipe to no avail. I decided, no matter how many tries, I WILL have sopapillas! It may not be tonight, it may not be tomorrow, but I WILL eat a sopapilla! I started with a recipe that my husband and I have made multiple times in the past and really loved. I substituted the flours and kept the other ingredients the same and then added in an arbitrary measurement of 2 tsp of xanthum gum. I fried 3 sops out of the first batch of dough and was not surprised to find that I'd failed. They squares I cut friend in to crispy little grease wads. The flavor was delicious, but the texture was all wrong. The second batch is what we actually ate with dinner (tacos) and was a huge improvement from the first batch, but I feel still has some room to grow. Here's that recipe along with my ideas for further improvement.
Heat Oil: 375 degrees
1 C white rice flour
1 C tapioca flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp xanthum gum (my husband's theory: if less xanthum gum is added the dough will have the freedom to expand a bit more. These ended up being very delicious as they were, but they didn't form pockets like I'd hoped. We think adding less gum will give the dough the room to expand. However, it may just make them fall apart. Try it out if you like - I will most certainly be trying it as soon as I replenish my stock of tapioca flour)

2 tbls shortening
3/4 C warm/hot-ish water

sift the dry ingredients together
cut in the shortening with pastry cutter or two knives until it's well blended in

mix in water - I just used a rubber spatula for this and it worked great - no kneading required and the dough can be left in the bowl
Work dough in to ball and cover in the bowl for 20-30 minutes
Roll the dough out on a tapioca starchy surface until it's 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick - cut in to desired size
fry flipping from time to time until both sides are golden-brownish (GF dough doesn't brown so well, and these seemed to take a bit longer to cook through than regular sops. Try a couple out until you figure out how long they are going to take.



No comments:

Post a Comment