and just to name a few

and just to name a few

Monday, March 5, 2012

 My mom made KILLER cinnamon rolls for us when we were growing up.  I never quite mastered the art, even with the same recipe.  Mine turned out slightly less killer than hers, but they were still KILLER!  And then I went GF.  Sometimes I think that one of my moms caramel rolls would be worth the discomfort for the few days following ingestion....but no.  It's not worth it.  That left me with ONE option - find a GF recipe that would fill the cinnamon roll shaped hole in my heart. This one is a work in progress, but it's getting MIGHTY close to the KILLER "poison" (our word for gluten infested goods) ones I used to make.  So, without further ado, here's the recipe (adapted from a recipe found on glutenfreehomemaker.com)

Cream together in stand mixer:
4 Tbls                 SOFTENED butter
1/2 C                  white sugar
ADD IN:
1 1/8 C + 2 tbls    warm milk
2                        eggs slightly beaten
1/2 C                   oil
2 tsp or more        vanilla (I LOVE vanilla, so I typically double the amount      called for)

Mix these all thoroughly before adding dry ingredients

Sift together THEN add to wet ingredients:
3/4 C Sorghum flour
3/4 C Millet flour
3/4 C potato starch  
3/4 C tapioca starch 
OR - in place of the two starches above:  1 1/2 C corn starch (from the original recipe, but I find that a mixture of potato and tapioca pull it just a little closer to that pull apart texture of "poison" cinnamon rolls)
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 tsp    baking powder
4 tsp    xanthum gum
1 tsp    salt
1 TBLS  INSTANT yeast (if you don't use instant, this needs to be proofed with the milk and a little sugar)

With the dough attachment on your mixer, let these blend together at medium speed for a couple minutes - you'll know when it's ready - this actually makes a manageable dough, unlike many gf pastry recipes.

NO RISING!  HURRAY for instant gratification!

Tape a big honkin piece of parchment, wax or freezer paper to your counter and plop the dough down on it.  Rip another same size of paper to put on top of the dough to ease the rolling out process.  Roll the dough out inbetween the sheets of paper until it's... (I didn't measure and I don't ever measure when recipes say to) looking like it's ready to be sprinkled with goodness and rolled up.  You want it to be wider length wise.  A big rectangle.  
Melt and spread onto dough:  

2 or 3 TBLS    butter
Sprinkle:
as much cinnamon as you prefer - I use QUITE a bit as you can see in the pictures
Then sprinkle with coconut, nuts, raisins....whatever you prefer - or nothing.  I tried coconut on these ones and it was to.die.for!


Then, pull up the taped corners of your paper on the counter and use the paper to roll the dough.  Like such:





 See!  (sorry about the dumpy picture layout - I'm NOT a whiz with blogger!  I'm actually quite surprised I figured out how to get more than one picture on one blog post!)














Then, using cooking spray to lube up a good bread knife, cut through the middle of the roll - Cut the roll into two equal rolls, then into two equal rolls from those 3 rolls.  You will have 4 little rolls.  Cut each of those into 3 and you have 12 cinnamon rolls that bake beautifully into a pan of delicious gluten free heaven!










Mmmmm!  BUT, before you put them in the pan you need the caramel!  For this you will need:
1/2 C   butter
1 C brown sugar
Melt these and bring to boil in a pan, being sure than they do not burn!
remove from heat and add in
1/4 Corn Syrup
Pour this into a sprayed 9 x 13" pan and sprinkle with something or nothing - I used coconut here too and it.was.to.die.for! 
Then plop your cinnamon rolls on the caramel in 4 rows of 3.
Bake at 375 for 20 minutes!
NO rising
NO 35 minute bake time
NO poison!
I served them at a poison infested "breakfast" themed dinner party and they were a huge hit - I'm the only GF-er there.  
And then I had one for breakfast this morning after heating it for 30 seconds in the wave.  JUST as good!

Not the best picture, but the picture isn't the one with the KILLER flavor!

The end















No comments:

Post a Comment